Professors Presenting PhD candidates
Spring 2020 University Commencement Ceremonies
We regret that Iowa State University must cancel all Spring 2020 University Commencement Ceremonies for undergraduates, graduate students, and veterinary medicine students.
Campus leaders are working on plans for a live-streamed graduation address in May.
Graduates will also have the opportunity to participate in a future commencement ceremony in December 2020.
Please refer to this webpage, where information will be posted as soon as it is known. The Office of the Registrar will be reaching out to all students who have applied to graduate Spring 2020 in the near future.
Spring 2020 Graduate College Commencement Ceremony
- Presenting professors will be in academic attire and seated on the stage. The University Bookstore handles the university's academic attire needs. For renting or purchasing academic attire, faculty may download the Faculty Regalia Rental Form at:
- Faculty are encouraged to arrange for academic attire as soon as possible, and no later than the bookstore's deadline of April 23, 2020. Faculty may also borrow attire from a colleague.
Parking passes for the ceremony will be sent by email on Monday before the ceremony.
Arrival for Ceremony
- Please arrive at Johnny's in Hilton Coliseum at 6:00 p.m. Enter Hilton using the south entrance, turn right, and walk to Johnny's.
- Upon arrival at Johnny's, check in at the door with Registrar staff.
How to hood your graduate candidate
Please review before ceremony!
Presenting your candidate during the Graduate College Ceremony
1. During the awarding of the degrees, a marshal will prompt you when to proceed to the front of the stage to meet your candidate.
2. When your candidate’s name is read, escort him/her to the President or Provost who will be standing center stage.
3. Your candidate will turn to face the audience and bend slightly at the knees enabling you to put the hood over his/her head and onto his/her shoulders.
4. Turn back towards the President or Provost. The student will shake hands with the President or Provost and receive his/her diploma cover.
5. Next you may shake hands with your student and extend congratulations.
6. And finally, the President or Provost will then shake your hand and extend congratulations to you.
7. Your student will exit the stage via the front center stairs. At the time your student exits the stage to return to his or her seat, you should return to your original seat on stage via the outer aisle.
Questions or Changes to Presenting Professor
Contact Deb Lettow in the Graduation Office at email@example.com or at 515-294-1840.