Spring 2021 Ph.D. Commencement Ceremony
Date, Time, and Location:
- Friday, May 7, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum
Health and Safety Information:
- Cyclone Care initiatives will be required. This includes the following:
- Wear a face covering.
- Maintain physical distance.
- Wash your hands often.
- Stay home if you are ill.
- Hand-sanitizer will be provided in the lineup area.
- Presenting professors are required to wear academic attire. The University Bookstore handles the university's academic attire needs. For renting or purchasing academic attire, faculty may visit: https://www.isubookstore.com/grad-attire
- Faculty are encouraged to arrange for academic attire as soon as possible. Faculty may also borrow attire from a colleague.
- Masks are required for the ceremony.
- Parking is available in lots B1 (north of Scheman Building) and C1 (north of Hilton Colisuem).
- Please display your parking pass in the front windshield of your vehicle the day of the ceremony as the lots will be monitored by Hilton parking staff.
- Parking passes were sent via email from Denise Timberland on May 5, 2021. If you did not recieve a parking pass, please contact Denise Timberland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrival for Ceremony and Line-up Location:
- Please arrive 90 minutes prior to the ceremony at 5:30 p.m.
- Line-up Location:
- Check in for presenting professors will be on the southeast side of the 100-level (middle level) of the Scheman Building.
- Presenting professors will line up in the Scheman Building in an assigned order with their candidate(s).
- We strongly encourage you to not bring bags or other items into the Scheman Building. Although the building will be monitored during the ceremony and open after the ceremony in the event this cannot be avoided.
- Presenting professors will be led by Faculty Marshals from the line-up area, process into Hilton Coliseum, and will be seated with their candidate(s) on the floor of the coliseum.
Presenting your candidate during the Graduate College Ceremony:
1. During the awarding of the degrees, a marshal will prompt you when to proceed to the front of the stage.
2. When your candidate’s name is read, escort him/her/zir to the President or Provost who will be standing center stage.
3. Your candidate will turn to face the audience and bend slightly at the knees enabling you to put the hood over his/her/zir head and onto his/her/zir shoulders.
4. Turn back towards the President or Provost. The student will acknowledge the President or Provost. No handshaking with occur on stage.
5. The student will take a socially distanced candid photo with the President or Provost.
6. Next, you may acknowledge your student and extend congratulations. No handshaking with occur on stage.
7. And finally, the President or Provost will acknowledge you and extend congratulations to you. No handshaking will occur on stage.
8. Your candidate, and you, will exit the stage via the front center stairs and your candidate with recieve his/her/zir diploma tube from Dean Graves.
9. At the time your candidate exits the stage to return to his/her/zir seat, you should return to your original seat using the center aisle.
- Presenting professors and candidates will not recess, but will remain on the floor.
- After the recessional, you are free to take additional phots, meet and greet familieis, or leave, as desired.
Questions or Changes to Presenting Professor
Contact the Graduation Office at email@example.com or at 515-294-1840 with any questions or concerns.