Spring 2018 Doctoral Candidates Attending Commencement
Indicate attendance at the University Commencement Ceremony (date and time to be determined).
A final decision regarding the days, times, and locations of the Spring 2018 Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement Ceremonies has not yet been made. We do know they will occur between May 3 and May 5. As soon as we have any information, we will post it on our website.
- Log into your student AccessPlus account and click on your student tab. Select Graduation from menu on left and then Diploma/Ceremony in upper left corner.
- Complete the following online form (available March 1) information before Tuesday, May 1, 2018:
1. Attendance at the Spring University Commencement Ceremony
2. Presenting professor email
3. Newspaper release
4. Diploma mailing address
- Your presenting professor will be sent an email to confirm they will present you at the fall university ceremony.
Summer 2018 Doctoral Candidates attending Spring Ceremony:
- Indicate attendance at University Commencement Ceremony in AccessPlus (see above) by Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
- If you plan to attend the Fall 2018 ceremony, you will be given the opportunity to indicate this after June 15, 2018.
Doctoral Candidates attending the Spring 2018 Ceremony who graduated in a previous term
- Contact Deb in the Graduation Office, 210 Enrollment Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information before April 20, 2018:
1. Your name as it appears on your ISU record
2. Student ID number
3. Degree received
4. Presenting professor name and contact information (email address and phone number)
5. Your email address and phone number
Hooding Demonstration Video
- Plan to arrive at Benton Auditorium, first floor Scheman Building (date and time to be determined).
- There will be a representative from the Registrar’s Office to assist you in obtaining a hood and finding your place in the line up area.
The following timeline must be strictly followed:
6:00 p.m. Arrive and check-in at Benton Auditorium, first floor Scheman
6:15 p.m. Pickup reader’s card and complete photographer information on back
6:30 p.m. Instructions for crossing the stage and hooding demonstration
6:45 p.m. Candidates leave the line-up area for processional (latecomers will not be included in
Candidates for the degree Doctor of Philosophy will be seated on the coliseum floor in the front rows. Major Professors, or their representatives, will be seated on the stage.
Caps and Gowns
- PhD's must rent or purchase the appropriate cap and red gown from the University Bookstore, Memorial Union, phone 515-294-5684. http://www.ubs.iastate.edu/ubs_forms/graduation/doctorate_rental_form.pdf
- Deadline for renting Ph.D. graduation attire is April 6, 2018. Regalia ordered after this date may incur late charges and risk not having their attire arrive in time for the ceremony.
Hoods used during the University Ceremony
- The Office of the Registrar will provide each candidate with a Ph.D. hood to be used during the ceremony. These will be handed out in the line up areas before the ceremony.
- If you will be bringing your own hood to the ceremony, contact Deb in the Graduation Office at email@example.com
Returning University Hood used during the Ceremony
- Ph.D. hoods are university property. Do not return the hood with your rental cap and gown.
- Return your hood either to Registrar’s staff on stage following the ceremony or to the Graduation Office, 210 Enrollment Services Center, by Tuesday, May 8.
- The hood must be returned to the Office of the Registrar, not the University Book Store, by May 8, or you will be billed $175.00 for replacement cost of the hood and a hold will be placed on your university record.
- If you would like to keep the hood longer, contact Deb in the Graduation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
- Photos at the university commencement ceremony will be taken by Flash Photography and posted on their website.
- Graduates will receive instructions via email from the photographer on how to view and purchase photos.
- Questions regarding photos should be directed to Flash Photography (select the Contact Us tab) or phone 214-443-9393.
For information about diploma covers, mailing address and distribution, visit the Diplomas page.