Graduate Commencement Ceremony Information
Date: Friday, December 17, 2021
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Hilton Coliseum
** It is anticipated that the ceremony will not last any longer than 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- The doors to Hilton Coliseum will be open at 5:30 p.m. for guests.
- Guest seating is unlimited – please invite everyone who wishes to celebrate your significant achievement!
- No tickets are required.
- Masks are encouraged, but not required, for all attendees.
- Graduates who choose to wear a mask are welcome to remove it for the onstage picture, if desired.
- Graduates and guests are encouraged to park in any of the parking lots around Hilton Coliseum, with the exception of lots B1, C1, and the East Ramp, which are reserved.
- A parking map is available online here: https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/
- Handicap parking is available in the B2 parking lot which is located southwest of Hilton Coliseum.
Elevators and Seating:
- Special accommodation seating will be available on a first come, first served basis.
- Guests needing a handicap accessible entrance and/or elevator should utilize Hilton Coliseum’s west entrance, located under the catwalk between Scheman and Hilton.
- A sign language interpreter will be available.
- Captioning will be available.
Information for Masters Candidates
- You may begin arriving for check-in at 6:00 p.m., but plan to arrive by no later than 6:15 p.m.
- Your assigned check-in location will be in the Scheman Building (located to the north and west of Hilton) on the 200-level, which is the top-level of the building.
Academic Attire (e.g., Caps, Tassels, and Gowns):
Academic attire is required at the December 17, 2021 Commencement Ceremony.
- Graduates are required to wear a master's gown, a master's hood, a black cap, and a black tassel. Students are encouraged to wear their adornments (cords, medallions, etc.)
- Graduates who are a member of the United States Armed Forces, are welcome to wear uniforms. Graduates who need to wear specific attire for religious or cultural purposes (e.g., hijab, etc.) are welcome to do so.
- Your cap should be worn level, not tilted. Your gown should hang freely from the shoulders. Appropriate business clothing should be worn under your gown.
- Academic attire can be purchased from the University Book Store in the Memorial Union or via their website (http://www.isubookstore.com/MerchList.aspx?ID=8392)
- Delivery options included shipping or pick-up in store.
- For graduates who would like their academic attire shipped to an international address, the University Book Store strongly encourages picking up at the store, instead, as there are currently significant delays when it comes to international shipping.
- Graduates needing special assistance (e.g., wheelchair seating, sign language interpreter, captioning services, service animals, etc.) prior to, or during, the ceremony should contact Amber Tiarks, firstname.lastname@example.org, by December 15th.
- Leave purses, coats, and other valuables with family or friends since there will be no secure place to leave them.
- After check-in, graduates will proceed to the line-up area.
- Please complete the photography portion of the card you were given at check-in prior to the start of the ceremony.
- During the ceremony, graduates will be led to the photography area and then led across the stage by a Faculty Marshal. Photographers will use a flash when taking photos.
- Handshakes with the President or Provost are optional. Please approach the stage with hands folded if you do not wish to be offered a handshake.
- After crossing the stage, graduates will be led back to their original seats.
- On-stage handshakes with the President or Provost are optional.
- If you prefer not to shake hands, please fold hands together to indicate you do not wish to be offered a handshake.
- Students/candidates will have two pictures taken at the ceremony:
- A staged photo before walking across stage.
- A posed photo with the president or provost while on the stage.
- Graduates will receive information via e-mail from Flash Photography as to how they can purchase their photographs.
- Questions regarding photography should be directed at Flash Photography (http://www.flashphotography.com/docs/contactus.html).
Flash Photography has been contracted to take your photograph at the ceremony. Photographers will use a flash when taking photos, please reach out to us at email@example.com or 515-294-1840, if you have any questions or concerns about the use of a flash during your photograph.
- The President and/or Provost will hand you a diploma tube on stage during the ceremony.
- More information will be forthcoming.