Morning Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony Instructions
Information for Undergraduate Candidates and Their Guests
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Ivy College of Business
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Date, Time, and Location:
- Saturday, May 5, 2018, at 10:00 a.m. in Hilton Coliseum.
- It is anticipated that the ceremony will be approximately two hours in length (i.e., 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.).
- Tickets are NOT required to attend the morning Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony.
- The doors to Hilton Coliseum will open two hours in advance of the ceremony at 8:00 a.m.
- Light concessions (i.e., soda, water, popcorn, hot dogs, nachos, pretzels, and cookie cups) will be available for sale at the southeast corner of Hilton Coliseum.
- Students/candidates can have an unlimited number of guests attend.
- Seating for guests is on a first come, first served basis.
- Guests in need of special accommodation seating (e.g., wheelchair seating, limited step seating, etc.) should locate an usher upon arrival in the seating area.
Parking and Drop-Off/Pick-Up:
- Handicap parking is available in the C-1/C-2 parking lots.
- Guests can be dropped-off and picked-up at the lower west entrance of Hilton Coliseum (underneath the catwalk between Scheman and Hilton).
- Special accommodation seating will be available on a first come, first served basis. Guests in need of special accommodation seating (e.g., wheelchair seating, limited step seating, etc.) should locate an usher upon arrival in the seating area.
- For convenience, an elevator is located immediately inside the doors of the lower west entrance to Hilton Coliseum.
- Students/candidates needing special assistance (e.g., wheelchair seating, sign language interpreter, captioning services, service animals, etc.) prior to, or during, the ceremony should contact Jennifer Suchan by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A sign language interpreter will be located on a platform in front of the stage on the south side.
- Captioning will be available on the lower portion of the jumbotron.
Academic Attire (i.e., Caps, Tassels, and Gowns):
- Students/candidates are required to wear: A bachelor's gown, a black cap, and the appropriate color tassel.
- Academic attire can be purchased from the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union or via their website (http://www.isubookstore.com/MerchList.aspx?ID=8392)
- Students who are being commissioned as an officer through the ROTC programs are welcome to wear their uniform.
- Students who need to wear specific attire for religious or cultural purposes (e.g., hijabs, etc.) are welcome to do so.
Arrival Time and Line-Up Location:
- Students/candidates should arrive to their line-up area at 9:00 a.m.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Southwest corner of Hilton Coliseum (top-level concourse).
- Ivy College of Business: Northeast corner of Hilton Coliseum (top-level concourse).
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Top floor (200-level) of the Scheman Building.
- Go directly to your line-up area and check in with the volunteer staff, at which time you will receive your Reader Card.
- Do not take a Commencement Program; one will be provided for you on your chair.
- Leave purses, coats, and other valuables with family or friends since there will be no secure place in the line-up area to leave them during the ceremony.
- Students/candidates will be led by Faculty Marshals from their line-up area to their seats on the arena floor.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Students will process as two single-file lines from the southwest corner of Hilton Coliseum, down the stairs between Sections 133 and 134 and Sections 110 and 111 to their seats on the arena floor.
- Ivy College of Business: Students will process as two single-file lines from the northeast corner of Hilton Coliseum, down the stairs between Sections 131 and 132 and Sections 112 and 113 to their seats on the arena floor.
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Students will process as two lines of pairs from the top floor of the Scheman building, down the north and south stairs, across the street, through the west entrance to Hilton Coliseum, and to their seats on the arena floor.
- Students/candidates will have two pictures taken at the ceremony:
- (1) A staged photo holding a diploma cover before walking across stage; and
- (2) A candid photo shaking hands with the president or provost while on the stage.
- All photographs taken at the Graduate Commencement Ceremony will be posted on the Flash Photography website (www.flashphotography.com/)
- Students/candidates will receive information via e-mail from Flash Photography as to how they can purchase their photographs.
- Questions regarding photography should be directed at Flash Photography (http://www.flashphotography.com/docs/contactus.html).
- Students/candidates are asked to remain standing at the end of the ceremony until the platform party recessional has concluded.
- There will not be a recessional of the graduates.
- Family, friends, and graduates will be asked to exit the arena quickly and safely following the ceremony, so Iowa State staff can begin setting up for the afternoon Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony.
- Diplomas will not be handed out during the ceremony.
- Diplomas will be mailed to graduates on Friday, May 25.
- Graduates wishing to pick up their diploma may come to the 200-level of the Enrollment Services Center on Thursday, May 24.
- Students are able to update their diploma mailing address through AccessPlus (Student tab > Graduation > Diploma/Ceremony) through Tuesday, May 8, 2018. After this deadline, please contact the Graduation Office via e-mail at email@example.com or via phone at (515) 294-1840.