Spring 2022 (Morning) Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Date: Saturday, May 14, 2022
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Hilton Coliseum
**It is anticipated that the ceremony will last approximately 2.5 hours.**
- Doors to Hilton Coliseum will open at 7:00 a.m. for guests.
- Guest seating is unlimited – please invite everyone who wishes to celebrate your significant achievement!
- Tickets are NOT required.
- Masks are not required.
- Please allow extra time for arrival and parking due to record numbers of graduates and guests, as well as construction in the area. Carpooling is also recommended.
- Parking is available in any of the surface lots around Hilton Coliseum, with the exceptions of lots B1, C1, and the East Ramp, which are reserved.
- Overflow parking options:
- Jack Trice Stadium lots immediately south of Hilton Coliseum.
- Lots 56,57, 63, and 100, located north of Hilton Coliseum near the Maple-Willow-Larch residence halls and the Lied Recreation Center.
- Shuttles will be available before and after the commencement ceremony to transport guests in overflow parking areas to and from Hilton Coliseum.
- Handicap parking is available in lot B2.
- Please be aware, there is construction around Hilton Coliseum, which impacts some parking.
- A parking map is available online: https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/
- Handicap parking is available in the B2 parking lot which is located southwest of Hilton Coliseum.
Elevators and Seating:
- Special accommodation seating will be available on a first come, first served basis.
- Guests needing a handicap accessible entrance and/or elevator should utilize Hilton Coliseum’s west entrance, located under the catwalk between Scheman and Hilton.
- A sign language interpreter will be available.
- Captioning will be available.
Information for Undergraduates
- You may begin arriving for check-in at 7:30 a.m., but plan to arrive by no later than 8:30 a.m.
- Your primary college will determine your assigned check-in location:
- Ivy College of Business
- Scheman Building, 100-Level (Middle Floor)
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Scheman Building, 200-Level (Top Floor)
- Ivy College of Business
- On-stage handshakes with the President or Provost are optional.
- If you prefer not to shake hands, please fold hands together to indicate you do not wish to be offered a handshake.
Academic Attire (e.g., Caps, Tassels, and Gowns):
- Graduates are required to wear a bachelor's gown, a black cap, and the appropriate color tassel. Students are encouraged to wear their academic adornments (e.g., cords, medallions, etc.)
- Graduates who are a member of the United States Armed Forces, are welcome to wear uniforms. Graduates who need to wear specific attire for religious or cultural purposes (e.g., hijab, etc.) are welcome to do so.
- Your cap should be worn level, not tilted. Your gown should hang freely from the shoulders. Appropriate business clothing should be worn under your gown.
- Academic attire can be purchased from the University Book Store in the Memorial Union or via their website (https://www.isubookstore.com/graduation/cap-gown-tassel/bachelor).
- Graduates needing special assistance (e.g., wheelchair seating, sign language interpreter, captioning services, service animals, etc.) prior to, or during, the ceremony should contact Amber Tiarks, firstname.lastname@example.org, by May 11th.
- Leave purses, coats, and other valuables with family or friends since there will be no secure place to leave them during the ceremony.
- After check-in, graduates will proceed to the line-up area.
- Please complete the photography portion of the card you were given at check-in prior to the start of the ceremony.
- During the ceremony, graduates will be led to the photography area and then led across the stage by a Faculty Marshal. Photographers will use a flash when taking photos.
- Students will shake hands with either the President or Provost and receive a diploma cover. Handshakes with the President or Provost are optional. Please approach the stage with hands folded if you do not wish to be offered a handshake.
- After crossing the stage, graduates will be led back to their original seats.
- Students/candidates will have two pictures taken at the ceremony:
- A staged photo before walking across stage.
- A posed photo with the president or provost while on the stage.
- Graduates will receive information via e-mail from Flash Photography as to how they can purchase their photographs.
- Questions regarding photography should be directed at Flash Photography (http://www.flashphotography.com/docs/contactus.html).
Flash Photography has been contracted to take your photograph at the ceremony. Photographers will use flash when taking photos, please reach out to us at email@example.com or 515-294-1840, if you have any questions or concerns about the use of flash during your photograph.
- The President and/or Provost will hand you a diploma cover on stage during the ceremony.
- Students may start picking up their cords on Monday, April 25, 2022 from our office, located at 010 Enrollment Services Center between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Please be sure to bring a valid form of photo ID with you (student ID card, driver’s license, passport, etc.).
- Please be aware that the distinction listed on your diploma and transcript may be different than your distinction at graduation, as your final distinction will be based on your cumulative GPA after final grades are posted.